Engage. Missional. Evangelism. Emerging. Edgy.
Ever hear these words thrown around before?
All these words are linked to movements within the Church striving to live out The Great Commission of Jesus…
“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to he end of the age.” – Matthew 28:19-20
So how do we (VI) actually do this?
How do we (VI) put meaning behind these buzz words?
There are a few things I’ve found that need to happen in order to engage the culture with the gospel and live missionally:
1. Leave our comfortable Christian zones and build relationships with those outside of our community.
2. Love the people in our culture (ASU, Tempe, MCC, Chandler) without expecting anything back
3. Listen to their stories, and not just try to fit them into ours.
4. Learn about the culture and the people in it. What they like. What they do. Why they do it, etc.
5. Live among them instead of retreating to our Christian caves.
My hope is that our ministry can truly live out God’s calling for us by being in the city and campus he has placed us in.
Over the next few weeks I’ll be expounding on the 5 L’s above.