Being missional involes listening to God and listening to others in order to learn, care, and serve.
Listening to people’s stories is one of the most important things we can do in order to fully serve and minister to them. Part of being missional is expressing love for people and understanding their backgrounds, stories, and culture. “We want to learn from others, value what is good, challenge what is wrong, know how to present the gospel in a relevant way” (The Edge Network).
Why listen to God?
- God spoke creation into existence (Gen 1)
- Jesus is the Word (John 1:1)
- Jesus was a preacher (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John)
- The Word of God is alive and active today (Heb 4:2)
Putting it into practice
- Take someone out to coffee or lunch over the next week and only ask them questions about themselves… and listen. Reflect on how much you have learned about that person.
- Carve out an hour one day next week to just listen to God.