One thing that is overlooked in the study of Paul’s ministry is the team that built around him. The mission Paul was on could not have been completed by just him. There needed to be a team of equipped and called men and woman to carry out the mission.
In this passage we see several Christian’s named in regard to the mission of the early church. We need to understand that we were called for a purpose. Romans 8:30 says that God predestined us and as a result as called us. Colossians 3:1-4 states that we have been risen in Christ, therefor the purpose of our lives are now Christ.
Here is a list of Christians on Paul’s ministry team mentioned in the passage:
- Tychicus –carried the letter to the Colossians. Also reported Paul’s activities to them.
- Onesimus – was a converted slave.
- Epaphras –was in prayer constantly for the Colossians
- Luke – wrote the Gospel of Luke
- The brothers in Laodicea
- Nympha –ran a church out of her house
It is important to see that in VI and in your Living Rooms, we are called to work together as a team as we carry out God’s mission for us (Romans 12: 3-8).
Think about how God used ordinary people to help change the world.
- Are you allowing God to use you for his purpose?
- Are you an active member of your community, or do you just let the leaders do everything?
Love God for giving you unique gifts and pray that he would show you how to use them in and through your community.
Live on mission with your community knowing that Jesus is the Head of the body.
Men – Understand that it is time to man up and lead the war. The Spring semester is usually spiritually low. The men of VI need to stand up and fight the good fight as good soldiers if we want to make any impact.