The weekend was very beneficial in regards to contextualizing the gospel in such a way that speaks people’s language and meets them where they are at.
Here are some notes I took from one of Prof. Ellis’ lectures entitled “Doing Theology In the ‘Nasty Now and Now'” (some parts adapted):
Theology – “The application of God’s Word by persons in every area of life.” – Frame
Basic principles in doing theology –
- Know the author.
- The meaning of the Bible is it’s application to our life situations.
- Not only does God reveal himself in the words of the Bible, but also in the basic patterns of the biblical situations.
- There is no situation we go through in life whose basic pattern is not already revealed in the Bible.
- Prayerfully look for the basic life patterns in biblical stories and situations.
- Prayerfully look for the basic patterns in: a) your life situation b) the life situations in your Living Room.
- Prayerfully match them up when they are alike.
- Prayerfully look into the Scriptures for how God was in control, speaking, and present.
- Then you will have a good framework for understanding how God is: in control of your life situation now, speaking in your life situation now, and present in your life situation now.